Blackbird Country Pies Phone: 0431 091 296
Address: 2/47 Christie Street, Canungra
Blackbird country pies. Yum 🙂
Canungra, a rural town, is 25 km inland from Surfers Paradise and 65 km south of central Brisbane. It is situated on Canungra Creek (a tributary of the Albert River), in the foothills of the McPherson Range. The name ‘Canungra’ is thought to derive from an Aboriginal expression describing a small owl.
Timber was taken from the ranges around Canungra in the 1860s, but the first intensive exploitation of the timber reserves came with the Lahey brothers who had several timber leases in the 1880s. They established a mill at the village of Canungra and for nearly ten years obtained logs within close proximity.
Canungra’s Uniting church dates its origin from 1882, and the government primary school began in 1889. Farmers took up selections in the lower foothills, and the Lahey brothers pushed a tramway southwards toward the Coomera River’s headwaters, to take out more distant logs. The tramway included a 100m tunnel built in 1901 (listed on the Queensland heritage register) and the line reached its maximum length in 1908. Lahey’s mill dominated Canungra’s economy until 1920. By this time most of the local timber had been cut out. The War Services Home Commission bought the operation in 1920, and it closed soon after. The tramway continued for a period, but was dismantled in the early 1930s. Meanwhile a State railway line had been extended from Logan Village to Canungra in the period from 1915 to 1955.