Witches Falls Track Address: 154 Main Western Rd, North Tamborine
2.7km circuit (Allow 2 hours) Moderate grade. This track also starts from the picnic area on Main Western Road. The walk descends through rainforest to Witches Falls and continues along the cliff to Witches Chase, passing through rainforest with large red cedar trees and through eucalypt forest. From here, the Witches Falls carpark is 2.7km via the Beacon and Main Western Roads.
Witches Falls is Queensland’s first national park, declared in 1908. Access is via Main Western Road. Parking is suitable for larger vehicles at the southern end of the picnic area.
Witches Falls Track starts just beyond the commemorative shelter. The track zigzags down the mountain side pass a signed landslip area that requires walkers not to stop on this section of track, through an open forest of banksia trees and into rainforest with giant strangler figs. This circuit passes seasonal lagoons surrounded by piccabeen palm groves before reaching Witches Falls. After heavy rain the lagoons fill with water and spring to life with a variety of insect and frog species. Do not walk circuit in wet weather.
Witches Falls lookout can still be accessed during wet conditions via the northern half of the circuit.
The waterfall only flows after recent rain and is best viewed from the lookout platform, accessed via a 200 m detour from the main circuit.
Essentials to bring
- Wear sturdy shoes, a hat, protective clothing and sunscreen.
- No bins are provided. Bring rubbish bags to remove your rubbish and recyclables from the park.
- Bring your own drinking water—this is not provided in the park. Creek water is unsuitable for drinking as it may contain organisms that can cause illness.
- Gas barbecues are provided at Cedar Creek and The Knoll sections. Electric barbecues are provided at Witches Falls section. If you are planning to have a barbecue in other park sections, bring a gas or fuel stove.
- Weather on the mountain can be unpredictable so take a raincoat and warm clothing at all times of the year.